Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa taken to hospital with head and neck injuries

  • Metaverse louis jacques marcelMarcel Louis-JacquesESPN

Tagovailoa hit the back of his head on the ground when he was sacked by Bengals nose tackle Josh Tupou, and his arms appeared to seize up almost immediately. He remained on the field for roughly 10 minutes before he was loaded onto a stretcher and taken away.

The Dolphins said shortly before halftime that he was conscious and had movement in all his extremities at the hospital, the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. After the game, they said Tagovailoa was expected to be released from the hospital Thursday night and travel back to Miami with the team.

Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel said Tagovailoa called for him when he went down.

“I could tell it wasn’t the same guy that I was used to seeing,” McDaniel said. “It was a scary moment. He was evaluated for a concussion. He’s in the concussion protocol, but he’s being discharged.

“It’s an emotional moment. It’s not a part of the deal you sign up for. His teammates and myself were very concerned, but he got checked out and it’s nothing more serious than a concussion.”

The entire Dolphins team gathered at midfield as Tagovailoa was taken off, and the crowd chanted, “Tua! Tua!”


In Sunday’s win over the Buffalo Bills, Tagovailoa underwent concussion evaluations at halftime after he hit his head on the ground and then stumbled while trying to return to the huddle. The team initially listed him as questionable to return because of a head injury but later said it was a back injury that caused him to stumble. Tagovailoa said later in the week that he passed every evaluation he took before ultimately returning to the game.

The NFL Players Association requested a review of the NFL’s concussion protocols following Tagovailoa’s quick return to the game.

“Player health and safety is at the core of the union’s mission. Our concern tonight is for Tua and we hope for a full and speedy recovery. Our investigation into the potential protocol violation is ongoing,” the NFLPA said in a statement after Tagovailoa was hurt Thursday night.

McDaniel, asked whether he knew with 100% certainty that Tagovailoa was not concussed after Sunday’s game, said yes, and noted that Tagovailoa was cleared by an independent neurologist.

“People don’t stray. We don’t mess with that. As long as I’m the head coach, that will never be an issue,” McDaniel said.

Asked whether there was anything he could have done differently following the Bills game, McDaniel said: “Absolutely zero patience for or will ever put a player in position for them to be in harm’s way. That’s not what I’m about at all. No outcome of a game would influence me to be irresponsible as a head coach of a football team.”

Tagovailoa, 24, was listed as questionable because of a back injury for most of the week ahead of Thursday night’s game.

Before leaving the game, Tagovailoa was 8-for-14 for 110 yards and an interception.

Dolphins receiver Tyreek Hill said players were asking for updates on the quarterback throughout the second half.

“You wanna win the game but obviously you wanna make sure that your brother is all right,” Hill said. “Football is just our part-time job, but that brotherhood is something that’ll last forever.”

Teddy Bridgewater entered in Tagovailoa’s place and finished 14-for-23 for 193 yards, a touchdown and an interception in the 27-15 loss. The Dolphins had rookie quarterback Skylar Thompson active for the first time in his career, as well.

Linebacker Jaelan Phillips said it was difficult to compartmentalize after seeing Tagovailoa stretchered off.

“That’s kind of what football is all about. We practice compartmentalizing every day. It’s not easy — we all love Tua,” he said. “It’s definitely tough to try to refocus, but we tried.”

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Copyright: © ESPN Sports Media Ltd. All rights reserved.

Gavin Escobar, former Dallas Cowboys tight end, one of two climbers found dead

Former Dallas Cowboys tight end Gavin Escobar was found dead Wednesday in an apparent rock climbing accident near Idyllwild, California. He was 31.

The Riverside County sheriff’s coroner’s office on Thursday identified Escobar along with one other climber, 33-year-old Chelsea Walsh. Firefighters found them dead after a climbing accident involving two people was reported around noon Wednesday near Tahquitz Rock in the San Bernardino National Forest.

Officials indicated Escobar and Walsh died at the scene while climbing a “rock face.”

A small amount of rain fell in the area earlier in the day, but officials didn’t immediately say if weather was a factor in the deaths.

Escobar was the Cowboys’ second-round pick in 2013 and spent three seasons with them. He also spent time with the Kansas City ChiefsBaltimore RavensCleveland Browns and Miami Dolphins. He last played in the NFL in 2018, finishing his career with 30 catches and eight touchdowns.

Escobar had been working as a firefighter in Long Beach, California, since February. In a social media post, the Long Beach Fire Department said Escobar leaves behind a wife and two young children.

Alif Vasaya provides expertise in business strategy, community growth hacking, content production, content strategy, digital ads through acquisitions, raising capital, monetizing the Metaverse, NFT affiliate marketing, consulting, and marketing advising for start-up companies.Highly skilled and results-oriented professional with solid academic preparation holding a bachelor's degree in arts and extensive experience in digital marketing, content production, business transformation, and human resource. Proven ability to assess and manage complex obstacles; viewed as a decisive troubleshooter. Successful in intense and demanding environments, providing strong team leadership and structure with a track record of motivating and developing soldiers.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here